Wednesday, January 21, 2009

"Gran Torino" Gran Shame

My But for "Gran Torino" came in the first paragraph, as follows. 
Clint Eastwood has done it again: somehow, his superb acting has managed to rise above the corny lines crafted for him by Nick Schnek and Dave Johannson in "Gran Torino." 
I think I need to do more background research before viewing a film or at least before I write the review. My article also lacks consistency in reference to characters/actors in the film.  And then, there is the flow of my article. I guess writing without a set structure is hard to adjust to. The more NYTimes reviews I read, the more I realize more evidence is better than more points. Just another thing to work on. 
Overall, I'd give myself a C+ ish. 

1 comment:

  1. I have similar concerns with my reviews. I feel that I have little knowledge to go on sometimes, and yet I try to write a compelling review and it ends up blowing up in my face. Reading the reviews helps me to get a sense of what I should be doing as well.

    ReplyDelete